What is Casita Verde?
Casita Verde is an experiential centre for the study and application of permaculture techniques. Situated in a beautiful valley near the village of San José on Ibiza, Casita Verde is the flagship project of the association (NGO) Ibiza Ecologic, considered as an experiential eco-education centre, and showcase of best practices for sustainable living and alternative energies.
The centre is a rented property, with sea view and many traditional features of Ibicenco landscape. The original farm has been gradually transformed by volunteers, over the last twelve years, from a small country dwelling with 5.5 hectares of land into a fully functional and modern ecological education facility, with a growing number of supporters from all over the world.
The place continues to be filmed, photographed and documented by an ever-increasing variety of local, national and international news and media representatives. However, in order to receive permission to film or photograph the centre, please get in touch before arriving.
Throughout its years of development, the centre has been more or less self-funded with revenue from the weekly open-day event, the organised school visits and some private donations from our closest friends and supporters, plus invaluable financial help from a Madrid-based NGO, 'Foundation for the Future', with whom we work on various fronts.
Casita Verde is model ecology education centre that is operated by volunteers and open every Sunday for the main fundraising event "Sundays @ Casita Verde" which supports and maintains the Casita project and its crew. At the centre you can find out that a more sustainable way of life is within reach of every one of us.
We welcome volunteers to help us on Sunday´s Fundraising Event!
Some unique features of Casita Verde are:
- Resource conservation in action
- Buildings made from recycled materials like bottles, aluminium cans and wood
- Alternative living spaces like a tree house, a bottle house and a cal oven house
- The everyday use of alternative energy like solar and wind power
- Recycling and compost making
- Cultivation of medicinal plants and herbs
- Studies on healthy food preparation and consumption
- Student education program
Our ongoing projects include:
- Maintaining and improving the facilities
- Building a larger rain-water collecting system
- Improving alternative energy systems
- Compiling and presenting information on healthy cooking, organic gardening, recycling, self- empowerment, self-healing, natural medicines and ecological awareness
- Developing a variety of natural products from locally available materials, like musical instruments, jewellery, art, crafts, skin care and health food
- Upgrading and improving internet and media presence including the production of an interactive guide to the centre, and music projects
Have a look at our slideshow, Life at Casita Verde, below:
Check out our photo gallery below.